Monday, February 20, 2006

Olympics, Gout, and Endings

So "Miss Daisy" closed today, and I think this was the first time I've ever not been sad at a show's closing. Don't get me wrong, it was a good show, but I didn't feel especially connected to it. Even being there today, I almost felt like I hadn't worked on it at all. Of course, it was a pretty sloppy show today; Pat was back to forgetting lines, and she and Darold were stepping all over each other. She claimed it was because I was taping the show, and while it's possible, who knows? In my magnaminity, I'm willing to believe her. There was a brief party at Christine's afterwards -- well, brief for me; I left at about 7:30, everyone else was planning on staying a while.

My gout mention in the title line is due to the fact that I ate a fairly large plate of pasta and some pretty good garlic bread and got that bloaty feeling. I ignored the spaghetti sauce (no mushrooms for me, please!) and the salad (no avocado for me, please!), so it was heavy on the starches. I guess I need more greens (ya think?)

Just realized I'm writing this in inverse order from the title, and you know what? I don't give a rat's ass. I've had the Olympics on while surfing tonight, and I just find it astonishing that anyone can do anything on the ice. I can skate -- badly; I canonly push with my right foot -- and am amazed that anyone can skate fast or backwards or anything. But I guess that's the whole point of the Olympics; to see what the limits of human achievement are. How those damn snowboarders fit into that, I have no idea, but I'm not a kid anymore, either.

Back to directing. I need a project. I need to direct something of my own, that I feel a passionate ownership for. I was planning on looking over my plays downstairs to find stuff to propose to PSP and CCT, but I think I need to factor in doing something for me. I'm tired of being a hired gun; I want to be the sheriff (I'm never sure how to spell "sheriff" until I see it).
Pidge is much improved today; she took it easy -- no long walks -- and that seems to have made a difference. We'll see tomorrow after we go to the grocery store. Am I suburban, or what? My big President's Day weekend? Laundry and grocery shopping. No wonder I feel the need for artistic fulfillment.

My big accomplishment for the day? Returning to this blog.

No comments: