Friday, April 03, 2009

Mr. Gojira in Retirement (11/3/06)

"Yeah, it was a lot of work, but it was also a lot of fun." The green goliath looks out at his 500-acre orange ranch. "Back then, I could destroy most of Tokyo, take on any number of crazy monsters, and breathe fire all day. Today, I'm lucky if I get heartburn." Godzilla chuckles; it's not the first time he's told that joke. By investing wisely, Gojira (he now goes by his original Japanese name) was able to leave the monster trade to a younger generation. "My son tried it for a while, but his heart wasn't in it. And that kid they hired for the remake? Oi vey! CGI will never beat a rubber suit." Does he miss the old days? "Sure. But, the old gang -- Mothra, Gamera, Kong -- and I have a weekly poker game and relive the past without all the aches and pains." Another laugh, but with just a hint of flame this time. After 52 years, Gojira still has a little something for his fans.

No comments: